Immigrant Rights Groups Prepare For May Day Action
Organizations across the nation are preparing for mobilizations in support of immigrant rights in a continuation of recent May Day demonstrations.The National Immigrant Solidarity Network is organizing another May Day mobilization in support of paths to citizenship for undocumented workers and will be opposing other legislation that the group sees as anti-immigrant.
According to a new Web site created to organize the demonstration, there will be common goals
1. No to anti-immigrant legislation, and the criminalization of the immigrant communities.
2. No to militarization of the border.
3. No to the immigrant detention and deportation.
4. No to the guest worker program.
5. No to employer sanction and “no match” letters.
6. Yes to a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants.
7. Yes to speedy family reunification.
8. Yes to civil rights and humane immigration law.
9. Yes to labor rights and living wages for all workers.
10. Yes to the education and LGBT immigrant legislation.
This year’s event comes after massive mobilizations that were held in U.S. cities on May 1, 2006. Tens of thousands marched in Denver, and thousands more participated in states like California, New York and Arizona. And a second national mobilization was held on May Day last year.
Like this story? Steal it! Feel free to republish it in part or in full, just please give credit to The Colorado Independent and add a link to the original.
Red Tent Bazaar Fundraiser for The Colorado Independent Wear red and join us for a night of drinks, music, dancing and laughter to benefit The […]Read More
The Home Front: Methane leaks from oil and gas industry ‘offset much of the climate benefits of burning natural gas,’ study says
“The U.S. oil and gas industry emits 13 million metric tons of methane from its operations each year – nearly 60 percent more than current […]Read More