Newsflash: Rich people supporting Republicans
The newest Forbes 400 analysis listing the wealthiest people in the United States was released on Wednesday and the majority of the top 10 richest individuals are, as luck would have it, supporters of Republican Party candidates.
But the top two richest individuals in the United States are backers of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.
Microsoft frontman Bill Gates maintained his status as the wealthiest American with a fortune of $57 billion, while businessman and philanthropist Warren Buffett came in second at $50 billion.
Gates and Buffett have given a combined total of $6,900 to Obama’s campaign, but the majority of those who were ranked as being in the richest top 10 are Republican supporters this election cycle, according records from the Federal Election Commission:
1. Bill Gates (Microsoft/$57 billion) — $2,300 to Obama, $2,300 to Hillary Clinton
2. Warren Buffett (Berkshire Hathaway/$50 billion) — $4,600 to Obama
3. Lawrence Ellison (Oracle/$27 billion) — $2,300 to Rudy Giuliani
4. Jim C. Walton (Wal-Mart/$23.4 billion) — $2,550 to John McCain
5. S. Robson Walton (Wal-Mart/ $23.3 billion) — No presidential contributions
6. Christy Walton and family (Wal-Mart/$23.2 billion) — No presidential contributions
7. Alice Walton (Wal-Mart/$23.2 billion) — $2,300 to Clinton
8. Michael Bloomberg (Bloomberg/$20 billion) — $250 to Giuliani
9. Charles Koch (manufacturing, energy/$19 billion) — $4,600 to McCain, $2,300 to Sam Brownback
10. David Koch (manufacturing, energy/$19 billion) — $2,600 to McCain, $4,600 to Mitt Romney
Like this story? Steal it! Feel free to republish it in part or in full, just please give credit to The Colorado Independent and add a link to the original.
Red Tent Bazaar Fundraiser for The Colorado Independent Wear red and join us for a night of drinks, music, dancing and laughter to benefit The […]Read More
It’s time to take another look at where gubernatorial donors are coming from— in terms of geography at least. We examined this topic last month, […]Read More