Denver judge rules in favor of motion to hold Bruce in contempt of court
District Judge Brian Whitney agreed to Attorney General John Suthers’ motion to hold former state representative and Colorado anti-tax icon Doug Bruce in contempt for dodging 30 attempts to serve him with a court order asking him to explain his involvement in three controversial ballot initiatives measures– Amendments 60 and 61 and Proposition 101.
Attorney General Spokesman Mike Saccone said the court must now seek to serve Bruce this latest order in person.
In an email sent to Suthers last Friday, Bruce said he would attend his court hearing. Saccone said Bruce had been notified by the attorney general’s office of Judge Whitney’s ruling.
The case will take place in Denver on July 26th at 8:30 a.m.
The contempt charge stems from requests of Administrative Law Judge Robert Spencer who requested documents and testimony from Bruce after it bacame clear he was deeply involved behind the scenes in drafting and funding the three tax-slashing initiatives now slated for the November ballot.
Bruce appears to have authored the three initiatives, tampered with witnesses in Judge Spencer’s trial and illegally paid petition gatherers to secure signatures.
Got a tip? Freelance story pitch? Send us an e-mail. Follow The Colorado Independent on Twitter.
Like this story? Steal it! Feel free to republish it in part or in full, just please give credit to The Colorado Independent and add a link to the original.
Attention womenfolk: Come let off some steam and dance with The Colorado Independent! Wear red and join us for a night of drinks, music, dancing and […]Read More
We already know the six big questions that will be on your ballot to answer in the fall, from lowering the required age for state lawmakers to […]Read More